Friday, March 29, 2013

Day 6 - Maya Center

Today is our last day in Maya Center. This morning after breakfast we headed to the school to begin working on the basketball court. All of the materials were waiting for us so we could get right to work when we got there. The first task was to get the back board attached to the pole that was already in the ground. Many of the kids asked us why we didn't attach the back board before the pole went into the ground and we really didn't have a good answer other than "This is just how they do it in Belize." After the back board was attached we began mixing and pouring cement. Everyone took a turn hauling cement from the mixer to the court. Carlos, our foreman, and Peter were leveling out the cement once it was poured. Mr. Hunter and Miss Keim tried their hand at leveling the cement yesterday and decided today that Carlos and Peter were much better at it. While the kids weren't helping pour cement they were busy playing with the children from the community. It's always sad to say good-bye to them on our last day here. Our students have really enjoyed getting to know the children from the community and they will without a doubt miss them while we are on the island.

After lunch we had a little down time before we all gathered back in the dining hall to meet with Ernesto and Aurora. Ernesto and Aurora are the owners of the hotel where we stay while at Maya center and they have an incredible story of how the village came to be in Maya Center. We heard about how Ernesto's family took this land from absolutely nothing in 1976 into a fully functioning Mayan village complete with a water system, telephone lines, and electricity. We also heard the story of how Aurora and Ernesto met and actually ran away together to get married. Aurora also talked to the group for a little while about her story as a famous artist in Belize as well as a healer in her community. When we were done talking with Ernesto and Aurora the group had about an hour and a half of well deserved free time.

Tomorrow morning we will say good-bye to Maya Center and head out to Tobacco Caye. It's been a great few days with the members of this community.

Bella - In the past two day we have been working on making the basketball court. Yesterday, we started to put cement in the court, it was really hot outside plus it rained so that added up to humidity and bugs! This made the job a bit of a challenge. Also we all brought gifts for the children here in Maya Center, I brought a huge duffle bag full of Stray Dog shirts with many different sizes and colors for the children to choose from. All of them loved it! So, a shout out to my dad. Dad if you are reading this, your dream came true, the whole village turned Stray Dog and we have the pictures to prove it! Today was productive also. We got the backboard up and half the court filled with cement and I played volleyball with a bunch of kids, I'm sunburnt now but it was still fun. Unfortunately, it is our last day in Maya Center and although we didn't finish it was a fun experience to meet all the children and help make something for the community that I know will be used very much. Tomorrow we leave for Tobacco Key and I hope it will be as fun as the rest of the trip has been.

Andi - These past few days have been great and full of new and interesting experiences. Yesterday we poured cement and played with the kids of Maya Center. We also gave the families their gifts. The smallest things made the kids and parents so happy. A single toothbrush or t-shirt, and things I take for granted made them so happy, and made their day. In the afternoon we went tubing. On the walk to the river we ate termites. Termites are disgusting and taste awful. We then went tubing down the river. The water was cold, but overall the experience was fun and funny. Today we poured more cement on the basketball court and played with the kids. We finished half of the basketball court and said our goodbyes to the kids of Maya Center. The memories created were great and unforgettable. Tomorrow we leave Maya Center and head to Tobacco Key. So far the trip has been very fun and full of great memories.

Hannah Fisher - On Wednesday while we where walking to the river to go tubing I ate a termite and it tasted soooo weird. I can now say that I have eaten a termite I am soooo proud of myself. Today I poured cement in the wheel barrel and carried buckets of water for the cement. I miss you guys and i hope that your holy weeks are still wonderful without me. I know this is hard for you mom but if it makes you feel better I miss you and am thinking of you. Today was hard because I had to say good bye to the kids (I did not see any of the same kids that I saw last year which surprised me). The kids also called me pescado (fish in spanish). I miss you guys and I hope you are having an exceptional week.
Sincerely,
Pescado
Hannah

Morgan - Yesterday was soooo cold compared to the other days that we have been here. It also rained as we were trying to hand out gifts to the kids. The feeling it gave me from seeing not only the children's smiles, but also the parent's smiles, was indescribable. During the afternoon, we went tubing. Halfway down the river, we stopped and we had do an exercise were we saved Mr. Hunter and Mr. Phillip from rocks. In a race to get to the teachers first, I faced my fears and ran through the water where I was up to my neck in leaves... and probably fish. (Fish are my biggest fear) I can't believe I did that! Today, I spent my work time filling buckets with sand for the cement. It was sad saying goodbye to the kids. The trip is almost over, but I am so glad that I had the opportunity to go to Belize. The memories that I have made will last a life-time!

Channing - HIIIIIIIIIIII! So on Wednesday we worked and played with the kids again. I was holding a kid when he peed on me so I was not smelling the best for the rest of the day:( Anyway we also made chocolate and it was pretty good. Yesterday we worked and played some more. We also handed out our gifts that we brought. That was a lot of fun!! But then later I got SICK:( So while everybody else went tubing I stayed with Ms. Keim and we found Baerett's shoe that he had lost. Even though I was sick it was fun just relaxing. Today was the last day we worked on the basketball court:( But Bella and I played volley ball which was really fun! I was kinda sad that we had to leave the kids but they were happy when we played with them. Well I'm going to go eat din! BYE!!!!!!:):):):):):):)

Madison - hello, Madison again. I'm going to give a brief update on the past three days since i last blogged. So on Wednesday we went to a chocolate farmplace and then ate a bunch of it and made some of our own. Just saying the stuff we made was kinda bitter but it was good enough to go through me. Then on Thursday we went and worked on the backetball court. We made a frame and put cement into the hole we dug and made a frame around to make the shape of the court. Also on Thursday we went tubing and that was an unexpected trip of bruises. The part where you are supposed to put your "butt up", I didn't really here Peter yell that alot and towards the end I was facing backwards so a sharp rock hit my back straight on the bone and it really hurts. Kinda matches the other one on my leg from walking into the wheelbarrow. Lastly we handed a bunch of gifts out to the kids. That was the best part of that day. Today we almost finished the court. I had to say good bye to the kids because today was our last day at maya center. Tomorrow we will be going to Tabbaco Caye. PS the freaky cat in maya center reminds me of lucky my old cat that is pure evil. Goin to go eat dinner now, ohhh theres cake ok gtg. BYE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


















0 comments:

Post a Comment