Sunday, March 31, 2013

Day 8 - Tobacco Caye

Today was our first full day on the Caye. Everyone quickly realized that it's very difficult to sleep once the sun rises. It was nice to watch the sun rise over the Caribbean...a little bit different than the sunrises at home. After breakfast the group had about an hour to get ready for our all day snorkel. We loaded up on two boats and headed out to the reef. The first stop we made was a little choppy but the snorkeling was amazing. Each group had their Reef Bingo boards and they were off to find different fish and behaviors that were on their board. We moved on from that spot to a more calm spot inside of the reef where everyone was again off to look for different things on their Bingo boards. We took a break from snorkeling to visit Carrie Bow Caye where the Smithsonian Institute has a marine station set up. They currently have scientists there from Italy and Austria. We had a quick tour of the marine station and one of the scientists invited us into the wet lab to show us what he had been working on. From there we headed to South Water Caye to have lunch. After lunch we stopped at Twins Caye where the ranger station is located. Half of the group climbed the rangers watch tower and had amazing views of the water and islands surrounding them. The other half of the group went with Sean to explore the Mangroves and see just what the Mangroves do for islands. We made one more snorkeling stop closer to Tobacco Caye before we headed back for the afternoon. Everyone enjoyed a relaxing afternoon around our hotel before dinner.

Tonight was our night snorkel. One group is in the water as I type this and the second group is waiting for their turn. I'm sure they will have lots to say (and blog) about the night snorkel when they get back.

Morgan - Friday, we left Maya Center for Tobacco Caye. On the way, we stopped at a grocery store. I think everyone bought as much junk food as they could carry! At Dangriga, some of us were waiting in line for the bathrooms. While I was waiting, a little girl came up, hugged me, and then ran away. The boat ride to Tobacco Caye was uncomfortable, but it was a new experience. At Tobacco Key, my room is right on the sea! Today, we spent the entire day out snorkeling. I braved my fears and went snorkeling for the first of the three stops. After that, some of us girls got sick and laid in the boat. At lunch, I realized that I was sunburned. I didn't realize how bad the burn was until we got to shore. After lunch, we went to the Ranger Station. At the top of the look-out tower, I saw a stingray. Then, we went to one last snorkeling spot before we headed back. Back at the shore, I saw my sun burn, and let's just say I look like a lobster!

Andi- On Friday we said goodbye to Maya Center and and headed for Tobacco Caye. Once on Tobacco Caye we got our rooms. My room is Morgan, Channing, and me, and we have a bathroom and shower!! Then we had a snorkeling lesson and went in the water for a short snorkel. The water was cold and I was freezing! After we went to bed and everyone was so tired. Today we woke up, had breakfast, and then got on the boat and began our adventures. We first went snorkeling and saw a lot of cool fish, and then we went to the second snorkel spot. After we went to the Smithsonian and then had lunch. Then we went to the ranger tower and we saw a nurse shark, which was very cool. We then went out for our final snorkel stop, and saw a stingray, lobster, and a lot of big fish. We then came back to the island. From spending the entire day out in the sun I managed not to get sunburnt at all!! We then had dinner and some people went on the night snorkel. I did not go on the night snorkel because the water was cold, and I was too tired. Tomorrow is our final day and then we return home! This trip was an amazing experience and a lot of fun!

Hannah- On Friday we all said goodbye to Maya Center and then drove to Dangriga. After we got there we got on a boat and headed to Tobacco Caye. When we got there we got our room mates. My room mates are Julia and Isabella. We then went snorkeling and we had conch for dinner. That is a chewy mollusk. Then today we went snorkeling like an all day trip thing. I saw a ton of cool fish. I miss you guys and I hope you are still having a wonderful week without me. I love you guys and hope to see you guys on Tuesday.

Sincerely,

Your daughter Hannah























0 comments:

Post a Comment